Caulonia, this important town extends across their hilltops and was likely founded by refugees fleeing the ancient city of Kaulonia. Its feudal past was linked to the Carafa family for a long period of time, and the town was known as Castelvetere. It gained notoriety in 1945 as a resultof a curious yet hard-fought popular revolt headed by Pasquale Cavallaro, who even proclaimed a “Republic of Caulonia”, which only lasted 5 days.
In addition to retaring part of its ancient medioeval layout, the town also features numerous architectural remains of Byzantine origin and various 18th-century noble palaces. The most ancient part of the village, known as Caulonia Vecchia (Old Caulonia), is overlooked by the ruins of the 15th century castle.
The main curch, which is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin, dates back to 1513, but has undergone considerable renovations over the course of the centuries. It is nevertheless home to a splendid 16th century white marble funerary monument dedicated to the Carafa family, which features images of Dead Christ between two Angles (on the predella), the Virgin whit Child between Saints Peter and Andrew (on the sarcophagus), and the Annunciation (on the lunette). it was built by Vincenzo Carafa for his father Giacomo (who passed away in 1489), and was later restored in 1637. the work is attributed to Antonello Gagini.
The same curch also houses an 18th century marble statue of the Immaculed Conception , by an unknown artist of the sicilian school.
The town’s most ancient holy building is the curch of San Zaccaria (Saint Zacharias), whitch was built during Norman times but has undergone numerous renovations. All the remain of its ancient splendour is a beatiful fresco on the conch of the apse depicting Cristo Pantocrator.
The city of Caulonia, in the Locride, is one of the largest municipalities in the Metropolitan Area of Reggio Calabria, under its administrative jurisdiction a multitude of small villages that extend from the Jonian Sea to the Serre di Calabria mountains.
Destination of tourism, the ancient and characteristic, often without inhabitants villages of the city of Caulonia, but also the valleys, the woods and the typical rivers called “rivers”.
On the sea there is Caulonia Marina, a modern town with shopping centers, equipped promenade and blue and calm sea almost all year round.